
OFFICIAL: Heartbreaking moments for Parramatta Eels fans as halfback Mitchell Moses announces he is stepping away from Rugby amid knee injury that leads to surgery
Parramatta Eels fans were left in shock and heartbreak on Thursday after star halfback Mitchell Moses officially announced that he will be stepping away from rugby league due to a serious knee injury that now requires surgery. The 30-year-old playmaker, widely regarded as the engine of the Eels’ attack, confirmed that the decision was not made lightly but was necessary for his long-term health and wellbeing.
The announcement came during a press conference at CommBank Stadium, where Moses—visibly emotional—thanked his teammates, coaches, and fans for their unwavering support throughout his career. “This is one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,” Moses said. “Rugby league has been my life since I was a kid. But after discussions with doctors and my family, stepping away is the only option right now. My knee just isn’t in the condition to keep going.”
The injury, sustained earlier this season, has kept Moses sidelined for weeks. Despite intense rehabilitation efforts, specialists recently advised that surgery was unavoidable and continuing to play could risk permanent damage. The Eels’ medical staff confirmed that the operation will take place in the coming weeks, with an extended recovery period expected.
Moses’ absence will leave a massive void for Parramatta. Known for his tactical kicking, sharp passing game, and leadership in crunch moments, he has been instrumental in keeping the Eels competitive in recent years. His 2022 season, in particular, was among the finest of his career, steering Parramatta to a grand final appearance and cementing his reputation as one of the league’s premier halves.
Eels head coach Jason Ryles expressed his sadness at the news but praised Moses for his contribution to the club. “Mitchell has given everything for this team,” Arthur said. “He’s one of the toughest and most passionate players I’ve ever coached. While we’re devastated to lose him, we respect his decision and will support him every step of the way.”
The news was met with an outpouring of emotion from fans across social media. Many described the announcement as “heartbreaking” and thanked Moses for his years of dedication. Longtime supporter groups also voiced their appreciation, highlighting his commitment and resilience on the field.
NRL figures and fellow players were quick to offer words of encouragement. Former teammate Clint Gutherson posted: “One of the best I’ve ever played alongside. Wishing you all the best in recovery, brother.” Rival players, including Nathan Cleary and Daly Cherry-Evans, also shared their support, acknowledging Moses’ impact on the game.
While Moses did not confirm whether this marks the end of his career altogether, he hinted that his focus now is on recovery and family. “Right now, it’s about getting my knee right and being there for the people closest to me. Who knows what the future holds, but rugby will always be a part of me.”
For Parramatta Eels fans, however, the immediate reality is painful. Losing their talismanic halfback is a crushing blow, and his absence will be deeply felt both on and off the field.